Sunday, October 9, 2011

Wilderness Hunt

In mid-September a hunting buddy and I hiked 7-miles back into the Bob Marshall Wilderness for a 5-day elk hunt. We ended up with outfitters in the same area so there were lots of people, which I didn't expect. No elk in the freezer this time but here's a few photos of the expedition.
This area burned over 20 years ago and it still looks like this, kinda park-like.
So opening morning rolls around and I drop Mike off at a nice watering hole, and I slowly head towards a different area that looked promising. A few hours later Mike reaches me on the radio with happy news... it was his 1st-ever white-tail.
Aaah, and the not so happy news...
But the deal is we share the load :)
I'd been exercising with a heavy pack for about 2-months so my feet and back weren't in too bad a shape, but Mike felt it. He ended up with blisters on the 'bottom' of both of his feet.
Somehow, we both made it out in the end with smiles on our faces.
We did see a few elk but nothing we could legally take. I might try this again but will try to find a place out in the middle of nowhere with fewer people.

1 comment:

Pa said...

That's the exact spot I hunted elk 3 years ago. No elk then either.