Sunday, October 9, 2011

Gracie's Antelope Expedition

Gracie has always been a great walker and can go and go and go without complaint. I've always had good luck getting an antelope opening morning but I walk-in about 2 miles. Well, this year I decided to ask Gracie if she'd like to come. I've gathered over the last couple of years that taking your kids out hunting is less about the hunt and more about the scenery. With that said, I told Gracie what we were in for and made sure I had everything ready to go the night before. We even went out Friday after school and got her a new pair of 'hunting' overalls.
It had been raining for 2 or 3 days before and Saturday (opening morning) was supposed to be clear and warm... I didn't realize just how wet she got from walking through the grass until later in the day. Oh, yeah, I forgot her fleece coat on the kitchen counter...
We saw around 40 deer and 1 small group of antelope. We got lucky.
It rained a little and I'd remembered to bring her rain coat :)
Whew, she had a good time and was probably more excited about the antelope than I was... antelope aren't that heavy, but they're heavy.